One advantage of attending the Information On Demand conference is an opportunity to sit for several certification exams. Even better, we’re offering discounts of up to $170 per exam for any IM, BA or ECM exam. You can take any of these exams for just $30 each. This is a whopping 85% off the regular price of $200 per exam.
Multiply your savings by taking more than one exam. For example, if you take 3 of the latest DB2 10 exams, you’ll save $510. You can take each exam twice while at the conference, so if it takes you two tries per exam, you’ll potentially save $1020.
Several other IBM Certification exams are available too, with a 50% discounted price of $100 per exam.
Which exams should I take?
Take an exam that relates to the job role you’re currently in, or for a job role you’d like to be in. Then choose a platform and release. If you’re working with DB2, for example, you have several options for Version 10:
- Pass exam 000-610 - DB2 10.1 Fundamentals to earn this certification: IBM Certified Database Associate – DB2 10.1 Fundamentals. Note that this exam is a prerequisite exam for most others.
- Pass exam 000-611 - DB2 10.1 DBA for Linux, UNIX, and Windows to earn this certification: IBM Certified Database Administrator – DB2 10.1 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
- Pass exam 000-612 - DB2 10 DBA for z/OS to earn this certification: IBM Certified Database Administrator – DB2 10 for z/OS
- Pass exam 000-617 - DB2 10 System Administrator for z/OS to earn this certification: IBM Certified System Administrator – DB2 10 for z/OS
There are too many choices available for me to list them all here, so take a look at the certification website to find which exams best fit your needs. Pay particular attention to the exam objectives as these directly relate to the questions you’ll find on the exam.
I like to call it “Exams on Demand” because you show up when you’re ready to take the exam and in most cases, a computer will be available for you to take the exam of your choice. Remember to give yourself about 90 minutes for most exams. Bring your conference badge, photo ID and your credit card to pay the exam fee.
The certification testing will be located at Surf DEF and will be available during the following hours:
- Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.*
- Monday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.*
- Tuesday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.*
- Wednesday 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.*
- Thursday 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.*
* Please note: The closing times listed above are for the last exam seating available on that day.
How should I prepare?
It is possible to pass most exams with strong experience, but why take the chance? Read a study guide, take a course, and take an assessment exam to be sure that you are prepared to pass. Ensure your success on exam day with the help of our preparation resources.
Assessment exams are regularly $30 per take, but for those who register for the conference, the exams will be free during the month of October. An email will be sent to all those who register with the code you need to make the practice exam free.
We have one DB2 Version 10 certification guide published and more to come, but not in time for the conference.
- DB2 10 for z/OS Database Administration: Certification Study Guide by Susan Lawson and Daniel Luksetich
I’ll have more information about the books you can use to study in an upcoming blog entry. Stay tuned.
Last year, I created a podcast with Susan Weaver, the program manager for the IBM Information Management Certification Exams and I discussed the exams and the procedure to take them for free at the IBM Information on Demand Conference. Listen now: Conversation with Susan Weaver.
I’ve published several additional tips on passing the exams on my main blog. You can see them here:
- Cert 101
- How to Prepare to Pass a DB2 Certification Exam?
- DB2 10 for z/OS Certification Roles, Exams and Study Materials
- Certification Study Guides for DB2 LUW Exams
- DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX and Windows: Certification Roles and Exams
- Certifications: Beyond DB2
- Certification Tips on the DB2Night Show
- Web-based Training Courses to Consider
- Certification Promotions and Discounts
Do you have any other tips for certification? Any advice for those considering it? Good luck to all!